Built by James M. Brown in 1859, Ashton Villa was the first mansion on Galveston Island, Texas. In the aftermath the disastrous hurricane of 1900, the grade around the mansion was raised three feet. The owners at the time opted to leave the fence where it stood resulting in three feet of it now being underground. However, the posts and gates were removed then replaced after the fill to retain their original use!
See more ‘fences and gates’ at Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge: Fences and Gates!