The Indiana Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument stands 284 feet and 6 inches tall in the middle of the roundabout that marks the center of Indianapolis. The monument was the first in the U.S. dedicated to the common soldier. German architect Bruno Schmitz designed the monument which was built between 1888 and 1901. The public dedication of the monument occurred on May 15, 1902. The memorial features several sculptures: Rudolph Schwarz’s two massive limestone groupings of War and Peace, two smaller scenes named The Dying Soldier and The Return Home, and four military figures at its base. George T. Brewster’s 30-foot bronze statue of Victory stands atop the monument.
(Click on any picture for a closer view of the ornate details!)
The National Register of Historic Places listed the Indiana Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument on February 13, 1973.
See more of the Daily Post’s ‘ornate’ challenge at the Weekly Photo Challenge: Ornate!