The Moon has stood out in the collective imagination of the human race since Earth’s creation. Like so many before, I look up at the Moon and its unique domination of the night sky. Here are a few off-the-wall facts and things to ponder about our Moon:
- It would take less than 6 months to drive to the Moon by car at 60 mph (95 km/hr). You would need to pack a lunch, however, as this is one of the few locations where McDonald’s do not exist.
- The Moon is bigger than the former planet Pluto. This has led a small group of scientists to call for assigning the Moon to ‘planet’ status; other items suggested for elevation to ‘planet’ status include Kanye West’s ego, Joy Behar’s mouth and Donald Trump’s hair.
- Your weight on the Moon is 16.5% of your real weight on the Earth. For most people, their reported weight on Earth runs at about 75% of their real weight on Earth.
- Buzz Aldrin was the first person to pee on the Moon. I bet there are some grand-kids who used that tidbit of information to win a trivia contest.
- Buzz Aldrin’s mother’s maiden name was Moon. Buzz gets a lot of face time on this list.
- There is high-speed internet access on the Moon at 19 mb/sec. Apparently NASA signed up for the Premium Plan with their provider.
- Jupiter has 67 moons, Saturn has 62, Uranus 27, Neptune 14, Mars 2 and Earth just one. Occupy Wall Street activists are demanding ‘moon distribution equality’ among the planets; Congress has yet to take up this pressing issue.
(Click any picture to get a closer look!)